Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Brothers

I have three wonderful brothers. My older brother, Dan, has been my best friend since we were in High School and realized it was okay to be friends and siblings. He has been a rock in my life ever since. He married a wonderful woman, Sara Joy, almost 7 (Holy Smokes!) years ago and now they have a beautiful son who is the love of my life!

Then, there is Mike and Jeff. They are my younger, no longer little, brothers. Mike is turning 25 in a few weeks and in December Jeff will be 24. I have had a hard time looking at them as anything but my "little" brothers. No matter what jobs they've held, places they've lived or gone to, they have always been my baby brothers. I have forever seen them in footie pajamas, not really able to take care of themselves. (It's the mother hen in me that wants to continuously care for them.)

This past weekend Jason and I flew up to Tacoma Washington where Mike is stationed. Jeff, being on a trip around the country, happened to be there at the same time, and I got to have 2 of my 3 brothers, and my husband, to myself. Needless to say I was excited! We had a great time, driving to Seattle , sightseeing, playing rock band til 2 in the morning, and just being goofy.

I quickly realized, however, that these were not my baby brothers. These were men. Men who had cared for themselves for years now, without my willingness to acknowledge their growing up. It was a sobering moment for me when I looked at the "boys" and realized they were now my men, and what wonderful men they are!

I now have 3 best friends who I am related to. My brothers are all men, which is still weird sometimes, but they are men with good hearts, strong minds, and loyal souls. I love my men, and am proud of who they are.


Space Needle in Seattle (Mike, Jeff, Jason, and me)

2 comments:

  1. No. Mikey and Jeffey will always be little brothers, no matter what. As will Ian, as will Dan, and you will always be a little sister to me - time doesn't change that.

    But I am glad you had fun getting to know the grown up versions of your brothers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get what you are saying...my brother is and will always be my "little" brother. It makes no difference how bigger or taller than me he is. It was so strange for me this year when I realized that he was turning 25!! I too have such vivid memories of him as my cute little brother....

    ~erica Fitz

    ReplyDelete