Alright Folks, this is the time when I will actually put the money where my mouth is. I AM GOING TO BE HEALTHY! This has been something I have desired for many years and have always come up with excuses for actually doing anything. A main deterrent: I REALLY love food! I enjoy pretty much everything about eating. I love the flavors, the smells, the way a taste can take you back to some long forgotten place. *sigh* I enjoy the company that food can be, I enjoy the company that gathers around the food as well. Some of my most favorite moments in life have happened around a kitchen table.
BUT, it is time to end my love affair with food. (Or at least alter it.) I have been putting this off for too long, and slowly I have allowed my weight to get out of control. I understand that I may not "look" that bad (for those who think I do, thanks for keeping it to yourselves!) but I don't feel like I should. I am nearing 30 (somedays it feels like I am running towards it) and I want to start this new decade healthier and more fit than I am leaving the last one. God has blessed me with a body that works. I have a mind that works, legs and arms that work and it is high time I stop taking it for granted and "DO" something to show my gratitude. I need to be a good steward of what God has given me, and this includes taking care of my body.
Now, I am not going to give up everything I love about food, and I am not going to become a rabbit and eat only green leafy things, but as a friend of mine said to me "change the star of the show on your dinner plate!" So with this in mind, I have joined a website called Lose It. Basically it is an online calorie counter, I put in how much I weigh (gasp!) and where I want to be (how did it get to be so much in between???) and then a realistic amount I would like to lose each week. Lose IT then calculates the amount of calories I should consume in a day and I can track it simply on the computer (or my smartphone if I ever get one....husband??)
Why am I telling all of you this? Because I need accountability. I need a gentle reminder that I am human and messing up just means I get back on track the next day, not give up entirely. I also need encouragement, like everyone starting a new venture, I am worried that I will never get where I want to be and it will simply be another failure. So, please be patient with me as I know there will be times I blow it, but also encourage me to keep going. And if someone wants to take this challenge with me, I would love the company!
Anyone want to go for a walk???
I'm right there with you, Bek! Let's make our thirties our healthiest decade yet!
ReplyDeleteI'm certainly in it with you!! I am definitely learning that whatever plan of attack you use, the key is becoming aware of what you are eating, watching your portions and allowing yourself the things you enjoy, in moderation! BTW, the Trader Joe's Pear Cider is only has 9 grams of sugar per serving, a great alternative to higher calorie liquid delights!!
ReplyDeleteI have to piggy-back on this one and say, it also helps to know where your food comes from! Do some research on how your food is made, raised or grown (if you're brave) - and you may think differently about putting some of those things in your body no matter how good they taste!
DeleteGood for you! A plan and accountability are a great start! If you ever want to walk on a Friday morning after 10am, let me know. I am kidless for 2 hours on those days!!
ReplyDeleteAwe friend I think that you are beautiful and amazing not matter what but eating healthy is always a good thing. If you ever want to go on a walk or workout with me I would totally love that! I am struggling again with my love for chocolate...BOO :(
ReplyDeleteLove you Beks! I miss our walks in the mornings and maybe we can start doing that again. You know I'm on board with you. I've heard a way to cut fat, but still make it healthy is add spice... which you are great at! We can have a weekly dinner night and experiment with some healthy and delicious meals!
ReplyDeleteTotally agree with McCorkles... Ive been trying to do the same thing, it scary when you start to research things you like though! I have re-directed some of my enthusiam for food towards finding ways to make healthy things taste great, finding new recipie, changing old ones. LOVE my farmers market :) I found that if I plan ahead and make a menu for the week, shop for that menu, and stick to it I make better choices and save money too! Lots of love girlie!! Praying for ya!
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the support friends! I will say, Jason and I eat fairly healthy, the real problem is what portions I'm eating. But, I really appreciate all the encouragement! Love you all.
ReplyDelete@Robin, I would love to walk some Friday with you! It would be great to see you again!