Thursday, February 9, 2012

Update: The Race is on!

So, last week I posted about how I was going to kick start this year and soon to be new decade by getting healthy. I have been counting calories for just over a week now (not nearly as hard as I thought it would be) and, with the exception of bread, I haven't given up any of my favorite foods. (bread is for another reason, although it does help) I have been working out around 4 times a week and have noticed that the more water I drink the less hungry I feel throughout the day.

(Drum roll please:) I'VE LOST 3.8 POUNDS!!!

I fully realize that it will not always be great weight losses like this, but I am so encouraged to see that with minimal effort, I am able to make a difference in my body. I still snack throughout the day, but I keep carrots and celery close at hand so I don't reach for chips or peanut butter (yes, I eat it by the spoonful) like I used to.

So, with week one down and my way into week two I have decided I need an event to train for. Let me preface this by saying I DO NOT run. In fact, I despise running. I am the person who would be first killed and eaten by zombies simply for the fact that I hate running. (Ok, maybe I wouldn't be the first, but I would definitly be eaten in the top 10) All that to say, I think I might start running. Maybe.... My husband wants to do the Wharf to Wharf this year. And while I (we) have done it twice before, I always end up walking part of it because I just can't run. I am thinking that this year, the year of "No Fear" and healthy goals, this is the year when I will run the WHOLE six miles!

Beyond having a physical event to train for, I also have an emotional one. I turn 30 in 5 months, and I want to look good! Also, my brother is getting married. "Little" brother Mike has found the one his heart loves (I love her too!) and has asked her to be his bride. She, of course, said yes! Not only do I get a new sister, but she has asked me to be a part of their day. I am beyond thrilled and slightly emotional about the whole thing. It is, however, one more motivation to get in shape. I don't want to be the dumpy sister -in-law standing in a line of models. This year, I get to be one of the models too.

So, thanks for all the encouragement this past week. Thanks for taking this journey with me.

xo

5 comments:

  1. So proud of you Rebecca! The WTW is a great goal!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY Friend!! I am so proud of you and I am hear to support you in any way that I can. You are an amazing person and I know that you can do this. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi FF...so encouraged and excited for you! Keep up the good work! Love you girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a rockstar! Way to go Beks! Keep it up!

    Terra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Good for you!! I am NOT a runner either, never liked, it, was never good at it, and finally, when I actually had a desire to run and tried, I got the WORST shin splints ever. I had good shoes, I had inserts in my shoes, etc. Couldn't run without getting horrible shin splints. I finally did a Couch to 5K program and it was awesome! I had to FORCE myself to start out slow because the first week you only run 8 minutes total and that is in 1 minute increments. I can run more than that, but I had to force myself to stick to the plan...and wouldn't you know...after weeks I had no shin splints...

    The great thing about the Couch to 5K is that is is a running plan to get you from not running at all to running a 5k (3ish miles) in 30 minutes in 9 weeks. I downloaded a podcast with good music on it and prompts about when to run. I NEEDED this because when I look at a watch it makes it so much harder. 30 seconds feels like an hour when I am running. The podcast is great because you get to just listen to music and a lovely gals voice comes on over the music and gives you prompts for when to run and when to walk. It is so great. I stuck with the plan until week 5, then I started pushing myself...running an extra five minutes here and there. Within seven weeks, I was running 35-40 minutes without stopping (and believe me, for my short legs and history of hatred for running that is amazing).

    Here is a link to the podcast I use. I really love it! I have it on my iPod shuffle when I run and it is great! http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/

    If I can run for 40 minutes you can!!

    ReplyDelete